Susan holds a BA Honours (Psychology) and a BDiv, and is a member of the Association for Mathematics Education of South Africa (AMESA) as well as the International Association for Cognitive Education in South Africa (IACESA).
Early in her professional career Susan was instrumental in training over 3000 teachers and tutors, providing them with the foundational and practical understanding to facilitate cognitive development amongst children who struggle to read and write. With extensive research into learning problems, and as a published author and respected media commentator on this subject, Susan realised there was a need to establish specialised centres for helping children overcome learning difficulties and so she opened the first Edublox reading and learning clinic in 2007. As Director of Educational Programmes and co-owner of Edublox, she spends much time developing and refining the Edublox programmes but her first passion and priority remains helping children who struggle to read and write to realise their full potential as learners.
Susan has many testimonies of turning helplessness into hope at her clinic. The remarkable progress of Dihann van Rooyen is just one such success story. Dihann’s struggle with concentration, paying attention and writing was already apparent in Grade R. His parents decided to send him to a private school in Grade 1, hoping that he would benefit from the smaller classes, however when he was assessed at the end of Grade 2 his results were not positive. At the end of her tether Dihann’s mother, Nadia, came across Edublox and enrolled her son immediately. In a few weeks Dihann went from a struggling learner to being second in his class. “Never in my wildest dreams did I anticipate such a change in my son,” says Nadia. “His writing has improved, he finishes his work, he is focused and he never gets less than 80%.”
Dominique Pershouse, mother of Grade 6 learner Kaylin says that since her daughter joined Edublox she has become so comfortable at school. “With so much confidence, Kaylin is consistently improving.” Dominique says it was an answer to prayer, but added that Edublox has played a major role in her daughter’s academic improvement.
Susan serves the learners of Laerskool Constantiapark, Laerskool Elarduspark, Laerskool Lynnwood, Laerskool Monumentpark, Laerskool Tygerpoort, Laerskool Garsfontein, Glenstantia Primary, Lynnwood Ridge Primary, Waterkloof Primary, Pretoria Chinese School, Waterkloof Primary, Cornwall Hill College and more.
What Edublox offers
• A scientific assessment of your child’s reading and learning skills.
• Edublox classes aimed at Grade 1 to 10 learners improve concentration, perception, memory, logical thinking, reading speed, spelling ability and reading comprehension.
• Mathblox classes are aimed at Grade 2 to 7 learners and set the foundation for grasping mathematics.
• The Edublox English Language Course is aimed at learners in Grade 3 and older.
• Intensive holiday courses, 1-on-1 courses and the EASY programme for accelerated progress and results.
• Studiblox course on study skills, study methods and study techniques for Grade 4 and older learners.
• School readiness classes for the little ones.
Tel: (012) 345-1480
Email: [email protected]
Address: Room 114, Block C, Elarduspark Shopping Centre, Barnard Street, Elarduspark, Pretoria