When Marelize’s son was diagnosed as hyperactive, she embarked on the long and hard road of research into all the theories and every possible method to help her son. “I read everything I could lay my hands on, attended seminars and crossed the doorsteps of more therapists than I can count,” says Marelize. Her research may have seemed arduous and even heart-breaking at the time, but today she can truly empathise with parents of children who have learning difficulties. It is therefore not surprising that, upon her return to South Africa after working at a school in the United Arab Emirates for five years, Marelize started working as a tutor at Edublox Pretoria East. Knowing such a lot about learning difficulties and experiencing the life-changing difference of Edublox in children’s lives, Marelize dreamt of having her own clinic. This dream came true in February 2013. “I love my calling and there is no greater satisfaction than seeing learners achieve their full potential,” says Marelize.
One such learner is Tshiamo Mashao. When Tshiamo enrolled for Edublox classes in March 2013 she could not read or spell correctly and she had lost interest in going to school because she was two years behind her peers. “I am impressed by the progress Tshiamo has made since she joined Edublox,” said Tshiamo’s mother, Sophie. “My daughter can read and she is confident to work on homework activities. She is now able to do her homework on her own, and she grabs newspapers and magazines and reads without being shy.” Tshiamo’s class teacher has also noticed the difference Edublox has made.
Another proud parent is Marilyn Herrington, the mother of Jolene who won academic prizes during a recent school ceremony. “At the beginning of the year Jolene’s reading was way below standard and this had a very negative impact on her studies. I heard about Edublox and decided to enrol her. By the middle of the year I had already noticed a significant difference in her marks. Jolene is much more focused and her concentration is excellent.
In the past two years Marelize has helped learners from many schools, namely Voorpos, Villieria, Totiusdal, Pierneef, Queenswood, Boerefort, Wonderboom-Suid, Mayville, Bergsig, Saamspan, Tuine, Tuinrand and Riviera; Robert Hicks Primary, Rietondale Primary, Loreto Convent Queenswood and Eduplex. Marelize also serves learners from the following high schools: Oos-Moot, Wonderboom and John Vorster.
What Edublox offers
• A scientific assessment of your child’s reading and learning skills.
• Edublox classes aimed at Grade 1 to 10 learners improve concentration, perception, memory, logical thinking, reading speed, spelling ability and reading comprehension.
• Mathblox classes are aimed at Grade 2 to 7 learners and set the foundation for grasping mathematics.
• The Edublox English Language Course is aimed at learners in Grade 3 and older.
• Intensive holiday courses, 1-on-1 courses and the EASY programme for accelerated progress and results.
• Studiblox course on study skills, study methods and study techniques for Grade 4 and older learners.
• School readiness classes for the little ones.
Tel: (012) 332-4705
Email: [email protected]
Address: Waverley Plaza Shopping Centre, 1116 Hertzog Street, Villieria, Pretoria