Marike obtained her Baccalaureus Degree in Office Management and Technology in 2002 and started working in this field after graduation. She soon realised that it was not her passion and what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. She eventually shifted gears and completed her Post Graduate Certificate in Education…. which she still credits as the best decision she could have made.
Following this career shift, Marike has been an educator for the last 18 years, teaching learners in public and private schools. What’s more, she was an educator at Magalies Special School for a decade, where she worked with LSEN learners (Learners with Special Educational Needs).
She became the owner of Edublox Pretoria North in August 2020 when she purchased the franchise from Mareli Swart. Mareli had been running the successful branch for eight years. “I’m convinced that the learners in our area can really benefit from the services that Edublox offer – and the fact that Edublox Pretoria North is still going from strength to strength is proof of that,” she says.
“I believe that helping children to read, write, spell and learn, relieves pressure on all fronts and creates a calm and peaceful learning environment, that is paramount in helping a child realise their full potential. I’m honoured that I can add value to my community by helping in that process,” she adds.
What makes you happy in your personal life?
To spend quality time with my family and friends is what makes me happy.
Why are you passionate about helping children?
Children are still learning the skills and tools to help them cope in a society that expects a lot from them. Apart from the fact that I’m super passionate about teaching, I also feel strongly that I have a role to play in helping learners develop the tools and skills they need to thrive.
What is the best part of your day at Edublox?
- When arriving at the office in the morning…..to see all the small, happy faces greeting me and offering their help.
- When the kids bring their workbooks to me and brag about their work, and I can see the progress that they have made and how proud they are of themselves.
If you could give one message of hope to parents in your area whose children are struggling with reading and learning difficulties, what would it be?
Never lose hope or give up on your child. Learning is a process and each child makes progress at his/her own pace… but in the end, with the right help, they will all get there!
In what ways have you seen children improve in terms of their emotions, behaviour or reading and learning?
When learners start their journey with us, they often feel confused and most of the time their self-esteem is not what it should be. They don’t feel good enough and have little self-confidence. We can usually see a big difference within the first two weeks, though. Our learners feel important and loved – because they are! We regularly receive positive and promising feedback from parents, and we are delighted when our clients are happy and see a positive change in their children.
Welcome to Edublox Pretoria North
What Edublox offers
- An assessment of your child’s reading and learning skills.
- Edublox classes aimed at Grade 1 to 10 learners improve concentration, perception, memory, logical thinking, reading speed, spelling ability and reading comprehension.
- Mathblox classes are aimed at Grade 2 to 7 learners and set the foundation for grasping mathematics.
- The Edublox English Language Course is aimed at learners in Grade 3 and older.
- Intensive holiday courses, 1-on-1 courses and the EASY programme for accelerated progress and results.
- Studiblox course on study skills, study methods and study techniques for Grade 4 and older learners.
- School readiness classes for the little ones.
Tel: (012) 567-1746; Cell: 083-306-9883; Email: [email protected]
Address: 209 Jan Bantjies Street, Montana, Pretoria North