Qualifications and educational history
- MA Ed (Educational Management and Leadership) – London Open University, UK
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Special Educational Needs (Learning and Behavioural Difficulties) – UNISA
- BA Hons (Psychology) – Stellenbosch University
- Stellenberg High School – Dux Pupil 1993
- Eversdal Primary School
- Co-Headteacher, Chart Wood Special School, Surrey, UK (until December 2017)
- Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo), Gumley House Girls School, Isleworth, UK (until December 2013)
- Learning Support Teacher, Feltham Community College, Feltham, UK (until December 2007)
- Learning Support Teacher, De Vrije Zee Primary School, Goodwood (until July 2002)
- Maths Tutor, R&R Maths Centre, Stellenberg (until December 2001)
- Maths Teacher, Bosmansdam High School, Bothasig (until December 2000)
More about Hannelie
Hannelie has always had a passion for children who struggle with learning and has worked in this field for the past 17 years, first as a remedial/support teacher, then as senior leader and finally Headteacher at a Special School.
Over the years, particularly whilst working in the UK, she became increasingly aware of the fact most learners who struggled to learn, had poor cognitive skills. “I found that literacy interventions focusing mainly on developing strategies for reading and spelling made minimal gains and did not improve general scholastic performance,” she said, “even when continued over a long period of time and with full cooperation of the learner. Only when I introduced a computer-based cognitive development program alongside literacy-focused interventions in 2009, did I start seeing significant gains which also translated into improved outcomes in the classroom and examinations.
“When I was first introduced to Edublox in 2016, it immediately resonated with me, particularly because it is based on strong theory and developed through years of research. The program itself is much more structured and comprehensive than any program I have used before. I could see the potential in making a real difference for learners struggling with learning, and wanted to be part of this process.
“When Edublox Durbanville became available, my husband and I made the decision to leave the UK and return to South Africa. Durbanville is the area in which I was raised and schooled, and this is where I want to make a difference.”
What Edublox offers
• An assessment of your child’s reading and learning skills.
• Edublox classes aimed at Grade 1 to 10 learners improve concentration, perception, memory, logical thinking, reading speed, spelling ability and reading comprehension.
• Mathblox classes are aimed at Grade 2 to 7 learners and set the foundation for grasping mathematics.
• The Edublox English Language Course is aimed at learners in Grade 3 and older.
• Intensive holiday courses, 1-on-1 courses and the EASY programme for accelerated progress and results.
• Studiblox course on study skills, study methods and study techniques for Grade 4 and older learners.
• School readiness classes for the little ones.
Tel: (021) 976-7719
Email: [email protected]
Address: 14 Wagner Way, Sonstraal Heights, Durbanville